o 9 cups day old Artisanal Bread, diced
o 1 package Loose Sage Sausage
o 1 pint Medicinal Mixed Mushrooms, chopped
o 3-4 stalks celery, diced
o 1 large onion, diced
o 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
o ½ cup butter, divided
o 1 cup Chicken Bone Broth or stock
o ½ tsp. ground poultry seasoning, plus more for the chicken
o Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
2. Brown sausage in a large, oven-safe skillet. Remove to a plate.
3. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet and sauté mushrooms and garlic. Remove to a plate.
4. Melt 2 tablespoons butter, followed by onions and celery. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft. Add poultry seasoning, 1 tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. ground pepper, more to taste.
5. In the pan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add broth, diced bread, sausage and mushrooms, mix well.
6. Season chicken pieces with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning.
7. Place leg quarters on top of stuffing, skin side up, and place into oven for 10 minutes. Melt butter in a small dish.
8. Briefly remove pan from oven. Add split breasts, skin-side-up. Pour melted butter evenly over chicken and place back into oven for another 25-30 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- If you only have fresh bread, simply leave it out on the counter for a day to dry or place into a 250-degree oven for about 15 minutes. Half of a large loaf or one full small loaf makes about 9 cups diced.
- To make a quick gravy, simply whisk a tablespoon of Arrowroot powder with a cup of chicken bone broth or stock. Simmer for a few minutes or until thickened.