o 1 large onion; halved then sliced
o ½ pineapple, cut into bite-sized pieces
o 2-3 Tbsp. cooking oil
o ¼ cup white vinegar
o ¾ cup water
o 2 Tbsp. coarse salt
o 2 tsp. ground black pepper
o 2 tsp. smoked paprika
o 2 tsp. onion powder
o 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
o 1 ½ tsp. chili powder
o 1 tsp. mustard powder
o 1 tsp. cumin
o ½ tsp. turmeric powder
o ½ tsp. ground cayenne
1. In a small dish, mix together last 10 ingredients. Remove thawed pork roast from packaging and rub well with a thick coat of seasoning. If possible, do this 12-24 hours ahead of time and place back into the fridge wrapped tightly. Otherwise, allow it to sit with the rub at room temp for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 300-degrees.
3. Heat a large Dutch oven on the stove over medium heat and a tablespoon of oil. Sear roast well on all sides, adding more oil if needed, then briefly remove to a plate.
4. Add sliced onions and give it a quick stir before adding vinegar and water. Scrape the bottom and sides well to remove all of the yummy brown bits. Mix in the pineapple chunks.
5. Place pork roast on top of onions and pineapple, and place into the preheated oven for about 40 minutes per pound, checking on it at about the 25-30 minute per pound mark. Shred before serving.
- To prepare this in an electric slow cooker, simply follow the directions up until step 5 and instead assemble in the crock. Cook on low for 8 hours.