o 2 pie crusts
o 1 Tbsp. rendered bacon fat or high-temp cooking oil
o 1 small onion; diced
o ¾ pound broccoli
o ½ pound carrots; thinly sliced
o ½ cup frozen peas
o 1-2 cloved garlic; minced
o 1 ¼ cup pork stock (may sub w/chicken stock)
o ¼ cup flour
o 2 Tbsp. butter
o ¼ cup heavy cream
o 6 ounces cheddar cheese; shredded
o 1 ounce cream cheese
o 1 ½ tsp. dried tarragon
o ½ tsp. mustard powder
o ¼ tsp. onion powder
o ¼ tsp. Kosher salt, plus more for pie crust
o ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
o 1 egg; beaten
1. Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Prepare a deep-dish pie pan or skillet with a bottom crust.
2. Prepare broccoli by separating stems from florets and roughly chopping both.
3. In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat bacon fat over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion and a splash (about 1 Tbsp.) water and cover with a lid. Allow to steam undisturbed for about 2 minutes.
4. Add broccoli stems and cook uncovered, stirring often, for another 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are starting to become tender.
5. Reduce heat to medium and add garlic and butter, stirring often for another 2-3 minutes. Add flour and continue to cook until it takes on a deep, golden color. Slowly stir in warm pork stock to make a roux.
6. Add heavy cream, salt and pepper, tarragon, mustard and onion powders; bring to a simmer. Stirring continuously, adding shredded cheese and cream cheese incrementally until thick and smooth. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Stir in diced ham, broccoli florets and frozen peas.
7. Pour mixture into prepared pie pan. Top with second pie crust, brush with egg and sprinkle with Kosher salt. Bake for 45-55 minutes. You may need to cover the crust edges with foil halfway through to prevent burning.
8. Allow to cool and set for 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!