o Grass-fed Bavette steaks
o Bell peppers, sliced
o Onion, sliced
o High-heat cooking oil
o Flour tortillas
o Lime, sliced (optional)
o 2 tsp. kosher salt
o 1 ½ tsp. ancho chili powder
o 1 ½ tsp. Aleppo pepper
o 1 ½ tsp. cumin
o 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
o 1 tsp. onion powder
o 1 tsp. Hungarian (hot) paprika
o 1 tsp. dried oregano
o ¼ tsp. smoked salt
1. Combine fajita seasoning ingredients in a small bowl. For 1-2 lbs., store half of the mix for later use.
2. Pat bavette steaks dry and coat liberally with seasoning, reserving enough to season peppers and onions. Cover and let rest at room temperature for one hour.
3. Preheat grill (or cast iron skillet, see below). Heat oil in a cast iron skillet on the grill.
4. Add peppers, onions and remaining seasoning to skillet, stirring occasionally.
5. Sear both sides of bavette steaks over high heat.
6. Lower heat under steaks to medium and continue cooking for another 1-3 minutes.
7. Remove steaks to a cutting board to rest for 15 minutes.
8. Very lightly spray tortillas with oil and place on grill quickly; flipping once, to achieve grill marks but not too crispy.
9. Remove peppers and onions before they are perfect to your liking (cast iron pan will allow them to continue to cook).
10. Slice bavette steaks thinly against the grain and serve. Enjoy!
· I prepared 2 bavette steaks and before cooking, they came out to a perfect pound. I used half of the seasoning mix, using only about ½-1 tsp. on the peppers and onions.
· To prepare the bavette in a cast iron, simply preheat the pan with oil, then follow directions as stated above.